Fallout and Fallout 2
In the previous Fallout games, Dogmeat could be found in a scrapyard near Junktown. The player can recruit him as a companion in both games by doing the following things:
- Fallout - Feeding him Iguana Bits (his favorite food) or wearing a Leather Jacket can get him to follow you as a companion.
- Fallout 2 - Simply wear your Vault Jumpsuit, and dogmeat will remember the Vault Dweller from Fallout and join you. A bug exists where if you wear the Bridgekeeper's Robes, Dogmeat would still join you, because the game does not 'check' to see if you are wearing that specific armor. This bug exists in Vault City as well, when speaking to First Citizen Lynette or the guard at the front gate.
 Fallout 3
In Fallout 3, Dogmeat is a dog that can join you on your quests as a companion, provided you find him and save him. He's found in the Scrapyard; which is located South/South-East from Minefield. On the way there from Minefield, you'll come across a few Raiders, and when you arrive at the large area - easily recognisable by cement foundations and fencing all the way round, Dogmeat is found roughly in the centre of the Scrapyard. Keep searching until you find him being tormented by some raiders. Kill the raiders, or if you're lucky, Dogmeat will have already taken care of them when you get there. Then you engage in a particularly one-sided dialogue with the canny canine; and provided you use the right dialogue, he'll join you, or you can tell him to get lost in which case he'll leave.
When he joins you he'll follow you wherever you go, although there is some terrains he can't manage to traverse, so you'll occassionally have to find the long way round. He'll fast travel with you to any locations you pick off the world map also. You can order Dogmeat to search for items, ammo or food by talking to him. You can also tell him to wait here for you; or go to Vault 101 and wait for you there. Dogmeat is quite tough but he can die, you can heal him with stimpacks if his health is low. If you want to keep him around for as long as possible, be careful around large pools of water, he has a tendency to go for a swim and drown, and try not to send him into heavy groups of enemies - he'll take most of them down but recieve heavy damage; Dogmeat is the only dog you can have in the game, so take care. Dogmeat will appear on Vats when targeting, so be careful when scanning the wastelands for enemies.
 Fallout: New Vegas
An early screenshot of New Vegas reveals that Dogmeat will be returning.
- Dogmeat only uses melee attacks.
- You can choose to heal him with a Stimpak in the middle of combat.
- With the Puppies! perk if Dogmeat dies you can find his puppy at Vault 101 in Fallout 3.
- Dogmeat looks similar to the dog Mad Max has.
- When Dogmeat dies one piece of Dog Meat can be found on his body.
Related Threadsdogmeat puppies - last post by @ Jun 13, 2009
Dogmeat: Cross Country Tour - last post by @ Dec 2, 2008
Dogmeat Glitches.... - last post by @ Dec 13, 2008
diffrent dog other than dogmeat - last post by @ Mar 10, 2011
Fallout 4: Dogmeat can loot enemies, perks tied to special stats instead of levels QuakeCon Panel - last post by @ Jul 24, 2015
This page has been accessed 11,285 times.